Magic Mushrooms are Legal!
Denver Colorado, which is well known as being the first city to legalize recreational Marijuana, a trend that the rest of the country has since followed, has now also legalized Psylocybin Mushrooms, also known as “Magic Mushrooms”.
An important part of responsible recreational drug use is education. A lot of the dangers from recreational drugs come from ignorance or misinformation. So I’ve written this blog post to help folks who are interested in experimenting with this amazing substance.
Why a Tea?
Magic Mushrooms can be ingested dry, you can chew them up by themselves, put them on pizza or in spaghetti sauce, or any other ingestion methods. The problem is they taste like dirt. Dried mushrooms are spongy and difficult to chew, they taste horrible, and they often cause feelings of nausea when swallowed, probably because of bacteria and germs on their surface. Nausea is _no fun_ when you’re trying to have a pleasant third-eye experience. Ingested this way, it can also take a solid 45 to 60 minutes to feel the first effects.
When you make a tea from the mushrooms, you are transferring the psylocybin from the mushroom itself to the water, and leaving most of the contaminates and shroom parts behind. You can flavor the tea using any tea flavor that you like. You might still feel “weird” stomach feelings, but you won’t feel any abrupt nausea like you’d get from eating them. And the effects take hold much faster, often within 10 to 15 minutes.
Making the Tea
This is so simple, you’ll love it. First you dice up the mushrooms. The pieces should be around 1cm along each side, it doesn’t need to be precise but don’t mince them. Chop up the whole dose you plan to use, up to 1/8th oz (3.5g) , I don’t recommend more than 1/8th oz for a single person, as that will produce a very strong trip.
Once your mushrooms are diced up, place them in the center of a square cut of cheesecloth, large enough to create a “teabag”. Tie the corners together with some string or a twist-tie, you can use anything really. This will be your mushroom tea-bag.
Boil some water for your tea, you should start with at least 2 cups as some is going to boil off and you want to be sure you have a full cup of water at the end. Be careful not to burn yourself!
Once your water is ready, pour it into a cup, I like to use a measuring cup for this as it’s easier to avoid spills. Right away, place your mushroom teabag in the cup, along with a teabag of your favorite flavor of tea. Depending on what you use to tie the cheesecloth with, you may want to keep that part out of the water to avoid dyes or other unwanted chemicals from seeping. Let this sit for 15 minutes.
Starting your Trip
Once it’s ready, pour it into your favorite tea-cup and drink! I recommend starting a second pot of water after you drink the first cup. Your mushroom teabag should be good for 3 cups total, however once you finish the second cup (30 minutes in) you’ll be tripping so you may not get to the third, that’s okay.
Be safe and responsible! And if it’s your first trip, having an experienced “guide” with you is a very good idea. Music is okay, but avoid electronic gadgets like your computer or phone. Go outside and embrace nature. Expect your trip to last about 6 hours, maybe less, maybe more, depending on your dosage and body chemistry.
Avoiding “Bad Trips”
“Bad Trips” are mostly caused by bad drugs, that is, drugs from untrusted sources, that are cut with weird chemicals or are completely different than what the seller claimed. Always buy from a trusted source. Bad trips can also be caused by bad environments. A Bad Trip is basically when your body chemistry is doing something that you’re not used to, your brain doesn’t know how to deal with it, and you start to freak out.
If you start feeling uncomfortable while tripping, just remember that Psylocybin will not kill you. It won’t cause a heart attack, but it might make you feel an excited tingling. Nobody has ever died from using Psylocybin. So relax, enjoy the experience. If you’re really freaking out, try going outside. Especially if you are near a park or lake, or any kind of peaceful nature setting.
People will often become hyper-aware of their sensations when trying drugs for the first time, so try not to scare yourself if you feel little pains or tingles or whatever. We all have a tendency to block or ignore these normal feelings most of the time. Just remember that it will not hurt you, the trip will eventually fade away, and try to enjoy all of it because every trip is a unique experience.